Home - Whats New
Highlights of new features of JTLanguage.
This is a complete rewrite of JTLanguage from the ground up. Some key changes or goals for this rewrite:
- Provide a more stream-lined and robust user interface.
- Make most pages mobile browser-friendly.
- Provide companion mobile apps for Android, iPhone, and Windows phone.
- Internally, provide a more scalable and robust data model and controller, using portable model and controller libraries common to both the web and phone applications.
Note that while all the features for creating and using basic lessons are provided and ready to use, not all features of this website have been implemented or completed yet, and more options for lesson study are in the works. But I think you'll find that what is provided is very extensive and robust, and that JTLanguage is a great platform for language study.
Your feedback is welcome. Know of a feature that be useful in your language study? Let me know about it and I can see if I can fit it in. Want to create some lessons? Jump right in!
Feature Update 2.0.4 - 10 November 2017
This release includes the following changes:
- Fixed a problem with the media player in browsers on mobile devices where the play button was never enabled, and/or the media didn't start automatically. Media files now don't start playing automatically, as the mobile devices generally don't support it.
- Fixed a problem where the mobile media download wasn't including some media item files in certain cases. This was a server-side issue.
- Renamed tool profile actions and fixed insert tool profile to insert at the right index.
- Reworked Tool Configuration page. The field formerly called "Configuration Label" is now called "Configuration Type/Label" to better describe its meaning. Also, now the configuration type/label and key fields are the first fields on the configuration page. With respect to hiding fields that are not relevant, the normal and hybrid configuration fields are now hidden until the corresponding configuration type/label is selected.
- Fixed an issue where you could set duplicate configuration keys in the add, insert, or edit configuration pages. Also, the key defaulting mechanism was improved to select the lowest key suffix number available.
- Added a new configuration to the default configurations. It's a second "Write" configuration for practicing writing the target language item. This is useful mainly for languages not using the latin alphabet.
- Added a number of missing page help help text.
- Fixed a number of issues with the "OtherTeachersCanEdit" permissions option.
- Added language text font family and size fields to Home Settings page.
- Added an "Initializing..." state message to the automated lesson study mechanism to give a hint for the delay when it is generating audio for the text.
- Fixed crash in Tool Configuration page when there's no active session, possibly due to cookies being cleared.
- Fixed a bunch of problems with the audio recorder and mapper.
- Fixed many problems with the automated internationalization technology. Still lacking actual human translations.
- Fixed media player to have correct default subtitle language, and to not loop when EndOfMedia is set to "Next Lesson" or "Next Content" and there is no next lesson or content.
- Create some video documentation.
- Add a history mechanism, so you can see what you've done, and easily jump back to previous places.
- Show status indicator for courses, groups, lessons, and content, showing if the item has been seen yet, how many times visited, or if it is marked complete. Track for individual users. Also provide setting and clearing mechanism for this.
- Add a logging and general undo mechanism.
- Implement the remaining features I had in the old site, or had at least planned to have. These include an extensive dictionary for all languages, a translator, a searchable grammar reference, teacher and user blogs, forums for questions and discussions, a chat mechanism for textual and audio chatting with other JTLanguage users for exchanging language practice, and a place to list references for other web sites and tools.
- Create a verb congugation mechanism. Incorporate it in the dictionary and perhaps make a verb conjugation tool.
- Add a trigger and branch mechanism for audio/video media.
- Add speech-recognition to "Choose" mechanism choice selection in the Automated scripting.
- Revise audio recording and speech-to-text in Flash tool to be automated (no need to click "Record" and "Stop" buttons, though the buttons will still be there), and hopefully improve the turn-around time for speech-to-text process (which sends the audio to the server, which then sends it to a Google translate service).
- Create language-practice bots, using both text and/or speech recognition.
Past Feature Updates
Feature Update 2.0.3 - 27 October 2017
This release includes the following changes:
- The course, group, and lesson lists layouts have been stream-lined, now including images associated with these items, or a default image if none are provided. The items are also now click-able, doing the same action as the "Go To" buttons. Add images via the course, group, or lesson's "Lesson Options" page.
- There is a new package format for importing/exporting courses, groups, and lessons. It's called the "JTLanguage Chunky" format. It is a replacement for the "JTLanguage Package" and "JTLanguage XML" formats, which suffered from a lower size limitation when courses are really huge. I've left in these formats, however, the package format for legacy, and the XNL format because it's useful to have a textual XML format, as the chunky format compresses the underlying XML components. It's called "Chunky" because it stores items individually in variable-length byte-run chunks. This new format is also used in downloading courses to the mobile apps.
- A number of miscellaneous bugs were fixed..
Feature Update 2.0.0 - 6 October 2017
The Android and iPhone versions of JTLanguage are available! Get them here (or by searching for "JTLanguage" on the Play Store or App Store):
Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google Inc. App Store and the App Store logo are trademarks of Apple Inc.
I fixed a bug in the media player where the host language was not being displayed in the text in a media item with no host language set.